James House Pix 2007
2007, I had to leave San Francisco behind. I was in a dark, painful place, fighting the heaviest battle of my life trying to get over substance use. It was a terrifyingly hard time, and if I’m honest, I knew where I was headed if things didn't change.
If my family had turned their backs on me, I wouldn't be here today. Plain and simple. They saved my life.
Instead of rejecting me, they opened the doors to the James House in Carlsbad. It was built by a beautiful woman Joyce James with so much care, and it was filled with the most important people in my world: my sister, her husband Chris, their daughter Payton, and my mom who flew in to be motherly. When I had nowhere left to turn, they wrapped me in unconditional love and gave me a safe harbor to heal.
During those long days of recovery, picking up my camera became a way to anchor myself. Focusing on photography,,, mindfully lining up shots using the rule of thirds, tracking the way the soft Carlsbad sunlight moved across a room, and framing the rich timber ceilings gave me a quiet purpose. It helped me slow down and just breathe.
Looking at some of photos today, every image holds a piece of my gratitude:
The Warm Wooden Framing: The rich pine paneling and heavy cedar beams in those shots weren't just architectural details; they represented the sturdy, protective canopy my family built around me when I was at my most vulnerable.
The Light and Details: Shots like the green glass fishing float, glowing softly in its woven harness against the wood, mirror what was happening inside me. It was about finding beauty, light, and durability in the middle of a struggle.
The Spirit of the Space: Every quiet corner, brass accent, and sunlit window captures the serene energy of a home where I was allowed to rest, rebuild, and reclaim my life.
The grace of my sister, the strength of my mom and Chris, and the pure, bright joy of little Payton gave me a reason to keep going. The James House still stands in Carlsbad with that same good energy, but to me, those pictures will always be proof of a miracle: the moment my family saved me, and the place where I finally found my way back.











































Comments
Post a Comment